Thursday, July 10, 2014

FutureLearn: A.Hidden MOOK Gem

Today I was stumbling around the internet (like I usually do).  When I stumbled across another MOOK that I would like to share. This MOOK is fairly small compared to others that I have shown, but after playing with the website, it's been decided that I like it.

Future Learn

Future Learn has only 55 courses to chose from, making it the smallest MOOK that we have examined. However, there are redeeming qualities that make up for the lack of depth. Most of the teachings that come from Future Learn originate in UK, and other international schools. This makes sense seeing as how it is the UK's First MOOK. With Future Learn you have the ability to access materials on both your computing device, or smart tablet, making it easy to access information from anywhere.

Future Learn intends to compete with other MOOK platforms such as edX and Coursera, through the use of sociability. Future Learn has set up their site, as a form of social media. When you sign up for Future Learn you are given a home page. This page is for you, like so other people have been given a page as well. You are free to follow people and be followed by people who take courses, at the same time or even after you. By doing this it has turned a standardized method of taking courses into a more social, more group based activity. I personally love the idea. Like I have mentioned so many times before, my first online learning experience with CS50x was only so helpful because of the community surrounding it. Future Learning strives to give off a community, even trialing with ideas such as peer editing, and peer grading, so that you can get reviews of your work from others.

Future Learn may still be developing, But I would check it out, and watch it grow.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Chitika